Friday, October 31, 2008

granada is the best

ok i have only been here a few hours but i think i really like it a lot. It´s beautiful and colorful and cleanish and they have the best casa de culture i´ve seen yet, with things like dance and singing classes (!!!!) and a movie theater (!!!!!) and, i don´t know. I just really really like the feel. I was worried it would be hideously touristy but really it is not so bad. Nothing like San Juan! I think i´m going to stay and at least do a week of spanish classes and maybe more. huzzah.

when i was just walking into town, right by the place i wanted to stay, some guy called out at me from the neighboring hostel "hey! where are you from?" and i said "where are YOU from?" and he said "guatemala" and i kept walking. I thought he was a proprietor for the hotel trying to make me come stay, and i was having none of it. Then, a few hours later i was walking around and this sweaty guy with a backpack is all "why did you ignore me earlier?" and it turns out it is the same guy, and he is actually travelling also. I talked to him for a bit, he was switching guesthouses for a cheaper one, and he invited me back to get high, and well, you know what a sucker i am for getting high. so i went with him to this other hostel which was hellza cheap, $2.50 a night for a private room. Not hideously nice but not bad, certainly nicer than some places ive stayed in for double that. And so we got high and talked a lot and i practiced spanish and he practiced english, though as he lived in the states for 10 years he didn´t need all too much practice, really. Anyway, he seems like a cool enough dude, though of course he has already offered to teach me salsa, spanish and share his room (which has two beds, i´d be paying slightly over a dollar a night). So obviously i am keeping my distance a bit, but he didn´t even try anything. Hurrah! I suspect he will eventually, but whatevs. Y´know? Either i´ll reject him and he won´t be too upset or maybe by then i´ll think he´s cool enough to be ok with the idea. Anyway, i am currently paying $7 a night to sleep in a dorm, and i´m considering moving to a private room here for 11. Which is expensive. But i do really like the room, and i also really like having a place i can lay around naked in and smoke weed in and study spanish in. y´know? so maybe i should move to the cheap place. But i guess i´m thinking maybe i´ll treat myself to a week in the fancy place, and then if i decide to stay longer i´ll move to the cheap place. We shall see.

No comments: